Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ontario here...

Hi all- my first entry on my blog.  I also had a lot of fun on Saturday.  If Gabe is awake, he's always fun.  I've been thinking about this Saturday coming up too, and General Conference.  And I've been forming an opinion lately about living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and being your best in general.  It's based on a favorite scripture:
 
O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe.
...
arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;
...
Awake, my sons; put on the armor of righteousness. Shake off the chains with which ye are bound...
 
I think the prophet Lehi is warning about the kind of apathy that can creep over us slowly until it puts us to sleep.  So which of the following is worse, and please chime in below as you please:
1. Wanting to do what's right and doing it.  (I pick this as best.)
2. Wanting to do what's right and failing.
3. Wanting to do what's wrong and succeeding.
4. Not caring anymore about either.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Shout out to Meggan and Ontario! (and Gabe!)...

I think #4 is the worst. There are a few people in my life who are "past feeling" right now and it breaks my heart like nothing else. I have no idea what to do for them.

Hope to see you guys tonight at the reunion!

Holm Life said...

Number 1 is best, but since we're mortals, we often have to rank number 2 as best-- because when we try to do right and fail, we can choose to have that marvelous experience of repenting-- and then we are back at number 1, having come closer to the Savior in the process.